Friday, October 7, 2011

I will never look at store pumpkins the same.

This beautiful squash is a French pumpkin.  I don't think that I will use much of anything else for my pumpkin needs ever again if given a choice.
This one was the largest available and only cost $5 at the farmer's market.  Bonus points that it came from the family I spent a good portion of my childhood neighboring at the farmer's market when I mother set up shop there.  So when I was told by the grandmother of the group that it wasn't just a good cooking pumpkin, that it was in fact a awe inspiring cooking pumpkin, I knew I could take her word for it.
The new tip I had found online for not only removing the seeds, and to also scoop the flesh after it had been cooked, was to use a ice cream scoop.  That little tip turned out to be one of those really good bit of info you can get from the internet.  Worked as smooth as a hot knife through butter on both counts.
The pumpkin was big enough I could only steam about a quarter of it at a time.  I kept a rotation of pumpkin in the steaming pot until it was done.  For steaming I used my largest stock pot and a steaming insert.
The lovely soft flesh was scooped into a second pot to be given a once over with the potato masher.  At this point I took a quick taste test to see what kind of pumpkin flavor I was going to be working with in the future.  Let me tell you it was sweet enough to eat right there and then straight out of the pot.  If my self control hadn't been as firm as it is I wouldn't have had any to put up in the freezer for later.
A little over three quarters of the mashed pumpkin was packed into storage bags then laid flat in the freezer for space saving and easy storage.  The rest of the pumpkin was simmered to  brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice to taste to cook off a little more of the extra liquid and to make a lovely pumpkin butter.  Most of the pumpkin butter was then packed into storage bags in one cup lots and stacked into the freezer with the rest of the pumpkin.  I put about a cup and a half that I scrapped out of the bottom of the pan into a jar and stashed it in the refrigerator for personal use.

If you can get your hands on a lovely french pumpkin I suggest you try it for flavor.  So far it is the best large pumpkin I have found for flavor.

-The head Wench

No comments:

Post a Comment